Gaming problems with Latency but not with Bandwidth

Gaming problems with Latency but not with Bandwidth

Postby TheBarnacle » Thu May 25, 2017 9:51 pm

I have been getting the same problem for the past couple of months with an increase in latency but not available download speed.
It happens every night between 20h00 and 24h00 for about 10 minutes at a time and switching between standard 220 ping and the 380 ping. The weird thing about it is it goes up to 380 and stays there completely stable, there is no in between it is either 220 or 380 ping to Europe. Doesn't seem like congestion to me but I might be misunderstanding how congestion is handled by you.

When using a different ISP the problem isn't there but it may be because I've reset the connection because I have never stayed on their connection for very long before switching back.

I have done a couple of trace route(?)s which show an apparent increase in latency between my exchange and the Durban exchange, I am in semi-rural KZN.

I'd love some feedback on this as nobody on your phone line has a clue what I'm talking about or why it's a problem.
TheBarnacle

Re: Gaming problems with Latency but not with Bandwidth

Postby yakuzaroot » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:51 pm

TheBarnacle wrote:I have been getting the same problem for the past couple of months with an increase in latency but not available download speed.
It happens every night between 20h00 and 24h00 for about 10 minutes at a time and switching between standard 220 ping and the 380 ping. The weird thing about it is it goes up to 380 and stays there completely stable, there is no in between it is either 220 or 380 ping to Europe. Doesn't seem like congestion to me but I might be misunderstanding how congestion is handled by you.

You're latency look very high even for the average broadband connection. You can try to optimize your connection by running DNS Benchmark and see which DNS server is the fastest for you. If that doesn't help then you have to be persistent in calling your ISP until you find someone who knows the technical terms involved. The last resort is to simply change your IP. I've also had similar problems in the past where latency was bad but downloading speed was good. The ISP upgraded their network and everything went back to normal. I did not have to change DNS servers.
yakuzaroot

Return to International Gaming